The Learning Differences Specialist is a member of Guidance and Student Services. The primary responsibilities of the specialist are to:
- Review applications of students with learning differences to determine if the school can meet their learning needs.
- After review of a student's educational evaluation, determine what accommodations need to be provided.
- Identify students who are showing patterns of difficulty in classes and work with those students and their teachers to determine a plan for meeting their learning needs, and recommend an educational evaluation if needed.
- Assist families who are going through the process of an educational evaluation.
- Work with teachers to help them understand the needs of students who have learning differences in order to maximize their potential for success.
- Assist students who are allowed testing accommodations on standardized tests to receive accommodations on the PSAT/SAT/ACT/AP.
- Work with all freshmen to teach effective learning and study habits, using a learning styles inventory.
- Track all students' progress throughout the year and communicate academic concerns with students, parents and the adviser.